THE PETER SELL ANNUAL AWARD
The aim of this Award is to widen engagement in the Scout and Guide movements.
WHAT IS IT?
It is an annual award of up to £5,000 to a Scout or Guide groups given by the Leslie Sell Charitable Trust. The Trust was founded by Leslie Sell to support Scouting activities. Peter Varga was a refugee from Hungary in 1956 who met Leslie Sell through the Scout Movement. This led to Leslie Sell supporting Peter to gain British nationality and then giving him a home. As a mark of thanks Peter changed his name to Sell and became a Trustee and later Chair of the Leslie Sell Charitable Trust. He died in 2007 and this Award is dedicated to him.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE?
The Trustees invite applications which seek to do the following:
- Widen engagement and involvement in Scouting and Guiding – in particular, the Trustees welcome applications that will encourage people to engage with scouting or guiding who have not previously done so.
- That will have a legacy beyond the initial expenditure of the grant – e.g. through the purchase of equipment that can be used in later years or by encouraging engagement of people, some of whom may then remain involved in the long term.
The Trust already gives hundreds of grants a year. The Peter Sell Annual Award will cover something different to the normal range of Grants made by The Leslie Sell Charitable Trust.
Please do not send in applications for this Award which fall within our normal grant criteria for groups or individuals.
Applications should be sent on no more than two sides of A4 in 12 point, or larger font, covering the following:
- Name of Scout or Guide Group making the application.
- Contact details – address, phone, email.
- Amount required.
- A brief description of what would be done with the money.
- An explanation of how the money would help to widen involvement with scouting or guides with some idea of the numbers of people involved.
- Why you think your application is special and should be funded.
- Please note that photos, drawings, or other pictures in support of the application may be included, but not additional written material.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE?
The deadline for applications is 20 September 2017.
The Trustees would like you to send your applications by email to email@example.com
If you do not have access to a computer, please send your application to the Trust, using the contact details supplied on this website. We will endeavour to acknowledge applications. The Trustees will review all applications and contact the successful applicant by 24 November 2017.
Unfortunately, the Trust is unable to enter into correspondence with unsuccessful applicants.
AWARD RESULTS FOR 2014
The Trustees of the Leslie Sell Charitable Trust are happy to announce the name of the Winner of the Peter Sell Annual Award 2014.
9th Tower Hamlets Scouts for their application to set up a lasting joint project with the Shadwell Basin Outdoor Activity Centre to allow the group sole use of the facility one evening per week to allow young people to experience water based and high rope activities.