THE PETER SELL ANNUAL AWARD
The aim of this Award is to widen engagement in the Scout and Guide movements.
WHAT IS IT?
It is an annual award of up to £5,000 to a Scout or Guide group(s) given by the Leslie Sell Charitable Trust. The Trust was founded by Leslie Sell to support Scouting activities. Peter Varga was a refugee from Hungary in 1956 who met Leslie Sell through the Scout Movement. This led to Leslie Sell supporting Peter to gain British nationality and then giving him a home. As a mark of thanks Peter changed his name to Sell and became a Trustee and later Chair of the Leslie Sell Charitable Trust. He died in 2007 and this Award is dedicated to him.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE?
The Trustees invite applications which seek to do the following:
- Widen engagement and involvement in Scouting and Guiding – in particular, the Trustees welcome applications that will encourage people to engage with scouting or guiding who have not previously done so.
- That will have a legacy beyond the initial expenditure of the grant – e.g. through a focus and engagement in environmental projects or by encouraging engagement of people in such projects, some of whom may then remain involved in the long term.
Please do not send in applications for this Award which fall within our normal grant criteria for groups or individuals.
Applications should be sent on no more than two sides of A4 in 12 point, or larger font, covering the following:
- Name of Scout or Guide Group making the application.
- Contact details – address, phone, email.
- Amount required.
- A brief description of what would be done with the money.
- An explanation of how the money would help to widen involvement with scouting or guides with some idea of the numbers of people involved.
- Why you think your application is special and should be funded.
- Please note that photos, drawings, or other pictures in support of the application may be included, but not additional written material.
The Trust already gives hundreds of grants a year. The Peter Sell Annual Award will cover something different to the normal range of Grants made by The Leslie Sell Charitable Trust.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE?
The deadline for applications is 14 September 2023.
The Trustees would like you to send your applications by email to email@example.com
Please send your application to the Trust, using the contact details supplied on this website. The Trustees will review all applications and contact the successful applicant by the end of November.
Unfortunately, the Trust is unable to enter into correspondence with unsuccessful applicants.
AWARD RESULTS 2022/23
The Trustees of the Leslie Sell Charitable Trust are happy to announce the names of the Winners of the Peter Sell Annual Award 2022/23.
51st Pellon Scout Group, Halifax – for their application, for their “Mother Earth” project.